Mormugao Port achieves impressive growth despite constraints

April 13, 2015 11:01 am Published by

Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) has registered a 25 per cent growth during FY15 (2014-15), reportedly recording the highest growth rate on a year-on-year basis among the 12 Major Ports. This commendable achievement came despite the Port suffering a massive downturn in throughput following the ban on iron ore exports from Goa. From a total cargo throughput of 11.74 million tonnes (mt) in FY14, handling picked up to 14.71 mt in FY15, with the Port surpassing the target of 13.35 mt set by the Ministry of Shipping.

Prior to the ban on iron ore mining, exports from the sector made up 80 per cent of the Port’s cargo profile. MPT has since shed the image of being a mono-commodity Port to become a multi-commodity facility by adding a wide range of cargoes to its kitty. Coal, coke, fertilisers, wood chips, steel products, granite, bauxite, petroleum, and other chemicals now figure prominently in its cargo profile. They constitute about 90 per cent of the total tonnage handled.

Of the total throughput, exports accounted for 3.33 mt (23 per cent), while imports constituted the remaining 77 per cent at 11.38 mt.

Of the total imports, 82 per cent was coal/coke, POL and liquid cargo accounted for 9 per cent, while other cargoes, including iron ore pellets, limestone, nickel and wood chips, were at 6 per cent. Fertilisers stood at 2 per cent, and containerised cargo at 1 per cent.

Total exports mainly comprised steel products (51 per cent), along with other products, including iron ore (18 per cent), bauxite (8 per cent), pig iron (8 per cent), granite (9 per cent), container cargo (5 per cent) and alumina and raw sugar (1 per cent).

There has been a double-digit rise in traffic of the various commodities during FY15, which indicates the growth potential of MPT and its diverse cargo profile, stressed Mr Cyril George, Chairman of MPT, during an interaction with the media in Mumbai last week. Also present, among other Port officials, were Mr Vipin Menoth, Traffic Manager and Mr Jerome Clement, Manager.

The container business registered an overall growth of 28 per cent to 24,514 TEUs, up from 19,176 TEUs in FY14. Total tonnage of containerised cargo thus increased by 32 per cent, from 2.36 lakh tonnes to 3.12 lakh tonnes. Of the total containers, 52 per cent (12,818 TEUs) were imports and 48 per cent (11,696 TEUs) were exports.

The performance of the Port on the three key parameters of vessel productivity also showed significant improvement.

Vessel arrivals at the Port were up 31 per cent, at 519, in FY15 as against 396 vessels during the previous fiscal.

MPT is now also connected by a weekly feeder service—deploying M. V. Chowgule 7 and M. V. Chowgule 8 (Shreyas Shipping and Logistics)—to Jawaharlal Nehru Port. On an average, the vessels offer five sailings a month. Additionally, M. V. Tiger Goman of Bengal Tiger Line calls MPT on a weekly basis connecting the Mormugao-New Mangalore-Colombo circuit. Efforts are on to rope in more container liners to operate from the Port, stressed an official release.

Rail traffic at MPT increased by 13 per cent to 11.78 mt during FY15, from 10.38 mt in FY14. Of this, 81 per cent was import cargo evacuation and 19 per cent export cargo receipts. The Port handled 2,989 rakes at an average of 8.19 rakes per day, improving the performance by 14 per cent over the previous year.

“MPT intends to pursue its FY16 strategic plan in a determined manner and the MPT team of workers, officers and management will maintain the pace of its transformation with enhanced governance,” emphasised Mr George. He reaffirmed the management’s commitment to serve Port users by introducing methods that facilitate ease of doing business, pursue new businesses, control costs and optimise resources.

 

 

 

Categorised in:

This post was written by Atlantic Admin